Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bouraikos - Βουραικος

Bouraikos. Of Boura. 

This is one of the place-name epithets of Herakles. I had to look Boura up as it wasn't ringing any bells. Boura is a city of ancient Achaea, which is located in the Peloponnese region. According to Wikipedia they had temples to Demeter, Aphrodite, Eileithyia and Isis. It also mentioned Herakles, which is what I was looking for (how it applied to him)-- "A little to the east of Boura was the river Buraïcus; and on the banks of this river, between Boura and the sea, was an oracular cavern of Heracles surnamed Buraicus."

Oracular cavern, eh? Sounds interesting! Unfortunately, that's all Wiki mentions about the subject. 

I found this referece at Theoi:
I) Near BOURA Village in Akhaia
Pausanias, Description of Greece 7. 25. 10 :
"On descending from Boura towards the sea you come to a river called Bouraikos, and to a small Herakles in a cave. He too is surnamed Bouraikos, and here one can divine by means of a tablet and dice. He who inquires of the god offers up a prayer in front of the image, and after the prayer he takes four dice, a plentiful supply of which are placed by Herakles, and throws them upon the table. For every figure made by the dice there is an explanation expressly written on the tablet."


Awesome! The researcher in my wants to know more. I wish some record of the dice meanings were preserved. I can't find much, if any information that explains things further, though.

Under a Wiki entry for the river, it says:
"According to legend there was a cave on the banks of the river which was dedicated to Hercules. There pilgrims came to read their fate in the Tables of Knowledge, as they were called."

I think divination by dice would be a great way to consult Herakles. I have no plans to attempt that just yet, but if I do, I'd have to figure out some meaning to the numbers. It's something I'll keep in mind.

I saw this epithet and to be honest, though it was rather boring and unimportant. I was going to pass over it. I'm glad I didn't! It turns out it sheds light on an aspect of Herakles that is far from boring! This is why I'm looking into things :-) I'm glad I'm taking the time to look deeper and learn more. It's fun!


Sites of interest:
Boura, Wikipedia
Theoi
Vouraikos River, Wikipedia

1 comment:

  1. If you're interested the cave is still there, just off the old road between Patra and Corinth - I was there last week.

    ReplyDelete