Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Alexiarês & Anikêtos

 I figured I'd do my own version of the Pagan Blog Project, focusing on aspects of Herakles. Since I'm behind, I'll have to catch up. 



While I haven't read anything in detail about Herakles' relationships with women yet, I did come across an entry for two of his children with Hebe. These children were born to him after he became a god and they're the only children of Hebe's. Their names were Alexiarês and Anikêtos, twin (?) sons.

Alexiarês means "warding off war."
Anikêtos means "unconquerable."

According to Theoi they "presided over the defense of fortified towns and citadels" and they were gatekeepers of Olympos along with their father.

The only mention of them, is seems is found here:
Pseudo-Apollodorus, Bibliotheca 2. 158 (trans. Aldrich) (Greek mythographer C2nd A.D.) :
"[Herakles] achieved immortality, and when Hera's enmity changed to friendship, he married her daughter Hebe (Youth), who bore him sons Alexiares and Aniketos (Anicetus)."

Along with their father, they were worshipped in Thebes. 




Sites of Interest:
Theoi
Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment