Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Alexicacus - Ἀλεξίκακος

Averter of Evil.
Epithet of Zeus, Apollon and Herakles.

When I first read this epithet, I assumed it referred to the fact that Herakles rid the world of monsters and other unsavory types during his Labors and life. I thought the "evil" referred to was of a more obvious sort (foes, enemies, etc). I had no idea that it had other associations. It seems that Herakles, under the epithet of Alexicacus, was associated with health and other curative aspects. He was an averter of disease and plague. He even had a number of healing shrines and springs where people gave thanks for cures received and prayed for continued health. The epithet allows for both associations (health/curative and protecting/defending against enemies/foes), which is cool.

I wrote a short prayer/invocation after learning this --

Hail Herakles!
Mighty son of Zeus and Alcmene
I pray to you. 
Alexikakos, Averter of Evil, 
Preserve me from all misfortune and ills!
Strong one, protector of mankind,
may you be triumphant!

It's not the best, but I wanted to write something. Perhaps as I get to know him more, I'll have a better, more personal piece. :-)


Links of interest:
Herakles and Healing Cult in the Peloponnesos
Averters of Evil
Google Book's preview: Horos Dios: an Athenian shrine and cult of Zeus (has section about Herakles Alexicacus)
Votive relief 

No comments:

Post a Comment