Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Writing Hymns, Having Dreams & Other Things

Some gods have a lot of hymns-- Apollo, Aphrodite and Artemis come to mind. Others don't have so many. Herakles has an Orphic hymn and a Homeric hymn. The Homeric hymn isn't too bad, though it seems more like an intro to a longer hymn, than one all on its own. To me at least! The Orphic hymn confuses me. Herakles is mentioned to be a Titan and father of Time (Kronos, basically), which doesn't make sense. I know Herakles was an initiate in the Eleusinian (Lesser?) Mysteries, but I'm not yet knowledgeable about the details of this, or his possible roles in Orphism or other Mysteries. I'll have to look into this, eventually.

Anyway, due to the lack of hymns for Herakles, I decided to write my own. It's goal of mine. I'm hoping to have one done by the 26th. According to the Hellenion calendar, noumenia (the first of the month) is on the 23rd. According to sources Herakles, Eros and a few others were honored on the fourth day of the month. That would be the 26th. (Unless I'm totally misunderstanding things!) Anyway, I'd like to have something written by the 26th so I can use it. I have a few things penned down, but nothing solid. It's harder than I thought it'd be. LOL. Perhaps when I get to know him on a more personal level, things will be easier.

*

I've been finding some articles (scholarly ones) about Herakles to read and when the time comes, write about. I have:
  • Hercules and the Triumphal Feast for the Roman People - Annalisa Marzano
  • Herakles' Attributes and Their Appropriation by Eros S Woodford
  • Herakles and the Eleusinian Mysteries - Daniela Colomo   
  • Domestic Statuary at Pompeii, The Sculptural Repertoires of Venus, Hercules, and Dionysus - Allison R. Kennedy 
  • Herakles in Attic vase-painting of the Peisistratean period - John A. Tamm
  • I also found an article about Mithras (I can't recall the title) that mentions a link between Herakles (or Hercules, Roman) with Mithras.  (I've had along time interest in Mithra/Mithras, so the article was of interest in that regard as well)
 *

Also, I've had these sort of hazy (and not so hazy) dreams about Herakles lately. Some of them are about the Labors. I remember a few days ago, dreaming of him hunting the Hind in the forest and chasing the golden glint of her antlers. It was always just out of reach! And in another I had this vivid image (or scene?) of him covered in blood (kneeling), in shock and crying/yelling to the heavens, only to have a thunderstorm answer and rain wash away the blood from his hands. That one stuck with me. I know of his madness and murder of his wife and children, but I haven't looked into it yet. The image was powerful, though. It's come to me a few different times. Not entirely sure why that aspect over the others keeps showing up. I tried to write it down in a poem or prose form, but I haven't been able to capture it yet. Hmmmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment